Martinsburg VA Medical Center
Associated Health/GME Residents
The Martinsburg VA Medical Center (VAMC) has a robust clinical education and academic affiliations program for health professions students and residents. Staff members take pride in the quality of care delivered to our Veterans and have made significant contributions toward student education. We feel that each school and program has a unique approach to offer in the delivery of patient care. It is our hope that you will find an environment that will promote your professional growth and at the same time give you meaningful learning experiences. Please follow the process below if you are interested in training opportunities at the Martinsburg VAMC.
Affiliation Agreement - an agreement between the VA and another institution involving patient care, education and/or research.
- An affiliation agreement outlines the duties of the VA and the intuition and trainees with respect to the clinical education,
- An affiliation agreement must be current and signed appropriately prior to beginning an affiliation period.
The VA affiliation coordinators will maintain one POC for each affiliate program. Each University is responsible for assigning a POC per program.
Clinical Rotations should not be initiated by the trainee. All contacts need to be initiated and facilitated through the Affiliations Coordinators.
Step 1: Is there a current Affiliation Agreement valid and signed appropriately?
Yes > Move on to Step 3
No > Move on to Step 2
New Affiliation Agreements will only be accepted during Open Season (February 1 to February 28 each year)
Click here for a list of current affiliation agreements.
Step 2: Select appropriate agreement template, and fax completed and signed (must be wet signature, electronic not accepted) agreement to 304-579-2647.
New GME National Affiliation Agreement
New Associated Health Education Affiliation Agreement
Step 3: Submit a Clinical Rotation Request form to the Affiliation Coordinators Office via email to email@example.com
Individual Clinical Rotation Request
Group Clinical Rotation Request
Open Season for Clinical Rotation Requests are as follows:
April 1 to May 31 for the Fall Semester and September 1 to October 31 for the Spring Semester. Rotation requests are accepted on a first come first serve basis.
Rotation requests will take up to 2- 3 weeks for review and notification.
Approved > Move to step 4
Not approved > We look forward to future requests
Step 4: The Affiliate Point of Contact/Program Director is to complete the TQCVL. Fax completed and signed TQCVL via email to 304-579-2647.
Step 5: The Clinical Health Trainee must complete and submit the following documents via fax (304-579-2647) in a PDF format, 90 days prior to the start of the rotation.
If all required documents/forms are not completed and received, the Clinical Health Trainee will not be onboarded. This may result in a delay or cancelation of the requested rotation.
1) VA Onboarding Forms
2) Training Links:
- Mandatory Trainee Training (MTT) TMS Certificate (MTT must be completed yearly, refresher course after initial year)
- CPRS Tab-by-Tab Training TMS Certificate
- BLS/ACLS (copy of card) if indicated by VA Program Director
TMS must be completed every 364 days. If multiple rotations are completed or a rotation lasts longer than 364 days you must complete the refresher training.
3) Fingerprints must be taken 60 days prior to rotation.
You must schedule an appointment to get your fingerprints with the Personal Identity Verification (PIV) office located in building 217 at the Martinsburg VAMC Campus. They can be reached at 304-263-0811, ext. 2066 or ext. 2067. Click here for a map of the PIV office location.
You also must have two forms of ID. Click here for a list of acceptable identifications.
Fingerprints can be taken at any Department of Veterans Affairs medical center as long as you call to schedule an appointment. It is very important to tell them the fingerprint results need to be sent to the Martinsburg VAMC and provide them with these two numbers: 1. SOI VAB9 2. SON 1316. If you fail to provide them with these two designating numbers, the results will not be sent to our medical center. This may result in a delay or cancelation of the requested rotation. Please also inform the Affiliation Coordinator of the location, date and time fingerprints were taken.
4) Email will be sent to the University POC and Clinical Health Trainee informing clearance has been given for start of rotation, 15 to 30 days prior to the scheduled Health Trainee Orientation. The welcome email will look like this.
5) Attend Clinical Health Trainee Orientation at 8 a.m. on Monday prior to the start of the clinical rotation. In Clinical Health Trainee Orientation, we will educate you on the important process and procedures of the VA. You will also log onto the computer to verify all codes are working.
Directions to Education Classroom
Directions to SIMLearn Lab
6) For Clinical Health Trainees completing multiple clinical rotations, you are required to complete a satisfaction survey after each rotation. Survey is located here.
7) Upon completion of your final clinical rotation please complete the satisfaction survey and attach the completion certificate to the clearance form. Once all areas have signed off on the clearance form, please submit the form and the certificate of completion to the Education Office in 207B.