Martinsburg VA Medical Center
Associated Health/GME Residents
We appreciate your patience during the COVID-19 pandemic. As of July 1, 2021 the Martinsburg VA Medical Center (VAMC) will slowly and cautiously move forward with accepting rotation requests in areas that can support the education experience. For inquiries or questions please reach out to MWV-AffiliationCoordinator@va.gov.
The Martinsburg VAMC has a robust clinical education and academic affiliations program for Health Professions Trainees (HPTs). Staff members take pride in the quality of care delivered to our Veterans and have made significant contributions toward student education. We feel that each school and program have a unique approach to offer in the delivery of Veteran patient care. It is our hope that you will find an environment that will promote your professional growth and at the same time give you meaningful learning experiences. Please follow the process below if you are interested in training opportunities at the Martinsburg VAMC
Affiliation ProcessTo begin the process, there must be a valid Affiliation Agreement between the affiliate (education institution) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- An affiliation agreement outlines the duties of the VA and the with respect to HPTs and their educational rotation.
- An affiliation agreement must be current and signed appropriately prior to the beginning of the educational rotation.
- An Affiliation Agreement is required for each educational program and include specific concentrations per affiliate requesting an educational rotation.
If all required documents/forms are not completed and received 90 days prior to the start of the rotation, the Clinical HPT will not be onboarded. This may result in a delay or cancellation of the requested rotation.
Step 1: Is there a valid Affiliation Agreement listed below for your educational program with the specific concentration?
Yes > Move on to Step 2
No > Skip Step 2 Move to Step 3
New Affiliation Agreements will only be accepted during Open Season (Feb. 1 to Feb. 28 each year)
Step 2: Select an appropriate agreement template from the list below. Please email completed and signed copy to
1.) GME Affiliation Agreement
2.) Associated Health Education Affiliation Agreement
3.) Medical Education Affiliation Agreement
Step 3: Clinical Rotation Requests
-April 1 -May 31 Fall Semester
-Sept. 1 -Oct. 31 Spring Semester
Submit a Clinical Rotation Request form to the Affiliation Coordinators Office via email to email@example.com Please ensure that the course objectives are listed on the form as requested or attached.
April 1 to May 31 for the Fall Semester
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 for th Spring Semester
1.) Individual Clinical Rotation Request
2.) Group Clinical Rotation Request
You will be notified by an email regarding the status of your rotation request.
- Approved > Move to step 4
- Not approved > We look forward to future requests
Step 4: The Practicum/ Program Coordinator or Director is to complete the Trainee Qualifications and Credentials Verification letter (TQCVL). Please email completed and signed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.) TQCVL Template
2.) TQCVL List
Step 5: The Clinical Health Trainee must complete and submit the following documents via fax, 304-579-2647 in a PDF format, 90 days prior to the start of the rotation.
If all required documents/forms are not completed and received, the Clinical Health Trainee will not be onboarded. This may result in a delay or cancellation of the requested rotation.
1) VA Onboarding Forms
2) Training Links:
- Mandatory Trainee Training (MTT) TMS Certificate (MTT must be completed yearly, refresher course after initial year)
- BLS/ACLS (copy of card) if indicated by VA Program Director
TMS must be completed every 364 days. If multiple rotations are completed or a rotation lasts longer than 364 days you must complete the refresher training.
3) Fingerprints must be taken 60 days prior to rotation.
You must schedule an appointment to get your fingerprints with the Personal Identity Verification (PIV) office located in building 217 at the Martinsburg VAMC Campus. They can be reached at 304-263-0811, ext. 2066 or ext. 2067. Click here for a map of the PIV office location.
You also must have two forms of ID. Click here for a list of acceptable identifications.
Fingerprints can be taken at any Department of Veterans Affairs medical center as long as you call to schedule an appointment. It is very important to tell them the fingerprint results need to be sent to the Martinsburg VAMC and provide them with these two numbers: 1. SOI VAB9 2. SON 1316. If you fail to provide them with these two designating numbers, the results will not be sent to our medical center. This may result in a delay or cancelation of the requested rotation. Please also inform the Affiliation Coordinator of the location, date and time fingerprints were taken.
4) Email will be sent to the University POC and Clinical Health Trainee informing clearance has been given for start of rotation, 15 to 30 days prior to the scheduled Health Trainee Orientation. The welcome email will look like this.
5) Attend Clinical Health Trainee Orientation at 8 a.m. on Monday prior to the start of the clinical rotation. In Clinical Health Trainee Orientation, we will educate you on the important process and procedures of the VA. You will also log onto the computer to verify all codes are working.
Directions to Education Classroom
Directions to SIMLearn Lab
6) For Clinical Health Trainees completing multiple clinical rotations, you are required to complete a satisfaction survey after each rotation. Survey is located here.
7) Upon completion of your final clinical rotation please complete the satisfaction survey and attach the completion certificate to the clearance form. Once all areas have signed off on the clearance form, please submit the form and the certificate of completion to the Education Office in 207B. Clearance Form