Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Martinsburg VA Medical Center


Change to Beneficiary Travel Claims

November 21, 2011

Martinsburg, W.Va. – Effective Feb. 1, 2012, the Martinsburg Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center will no longer issue cash payments to reimburse Veteran patients for beneficiary travel claims.  Cash payments will be replaced with direct deposits or U.S. Treasury checks.  This change, adopted also by the DC and Baltimore VA Medical Centers, eliminates waiting lines for patients, allows staff to validate addresses for mileage claims and eases the U.S. Treasury’s transition from cash to electronic funds transfer (EFT) payment.

Direct deposits will be made within three days of processing, while the U.S. Treasury check payment will be mailed approximately 14 days from the date your claim is processed.  All checks will be mailed to the Veteran’s address on file.  Notify the medical center of any change to your mailing address.  Checks mailed and returned undeliverable will be held at the Agent Cashier’s Office for 30 days.  Proof of address will be required before the returned checks can be released by the Agent Cashier.

To receive your reimbursement directly into your bank account, complete and return the SF-3881 form to the Agent Cashier.  The form is available at the Travel and Agent Cashier’s Offices between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., as well as online at

Veteran patients who are treated at one of the medical center’s Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) in Cumberland, Fort Detrick, Franklin, Hagerstown, Harrisonburg, Petersburg or Stephens City will not experience a change in service, as they already receive reimbursements via check.  If Veteran patients would like their reimbursement direct deposited, they can return a completed SF-3881 form to their CBOC.

For questions regarding travel claims, contact the Travel Office at 304-263-0811, extension 3040.  For questions regarding direct deposits or U.S. Treasury checks, contact the Accounting Office at 304-263-0811, extension 3035.