Martinsburg VA Medical Center
Veterans Transportation Network
Veteran Transportation Network Van Riders
For information or to reserve a seat on the van call the Transportation Office at 304-263-0811 or 800-817-3807, ext. 3732, or stop by the office, Room 1C-119F.
About the Veterans Transportation Network Program:
Our Veterans Transportation Network (VTN) has vans that originate in several areas to bring patients to the Martinsburg VA Medical Center for scheduled medical appointments. These vans are purchased by donations of Veteran Service Organizations (VSO) and others in those areas thru a program sponsored by Ford and the Disabled American Veterans. The vans are driven by volunteers who generously give their time in service to our Veterans.
- Chambersburg, Pennsylvania: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- Cumberland, Maryland: Monday through Friday
- Elkton, Virginia: Tuesday through Thursday
- Frederick, Maryland: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Woodstock, Virginia: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Franklin, West Virginia: Wednesday and Friday
- Keyser, West Virginia: Monday through Friday
- Berkeley, Morgan, Jefferson counties and locally: Daily
To ride the van a patient must:
- Have a scheduled medical appointment between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and noon.
- Able to board and exit the van unassisted.
- Reserve a seat by calling the Veterans transportation coordinator at 304-263-0811 or 800-817-3807, ext. 3732 , and have your name added to the trip ticket. Calling when you know you need a ride is important. These schedules are made up several days in advance. There are days that several of the vans are full so the earlier you call the easier it is to get a seat on the van or to change your appointment to another day if necessary.
A patient whose name is not on the trip ticket will only be allowed to get on the van if:
- The patient has an appointment letter showing an appointment for that day
- A seat is available
The van driver may refuse to transport any Veteran:
- Who they feel is too ill to ride the van
- Who is intoxicated, abusive or poses a threat to the driver or other passengers
Rules of conduct for van riders:
- Passengers are not permitted to smoke, chew tobacco/snuff, drink alcohol, use foul language, bring weapons, or use or bring any illegal substance on the van.
- Passengers must wear seat belts at all times.
- Individuals other than the Veteran are not permitted to ride in the van except in rare instances when an escort is medically necessary. This escort must be requested by the doctor and arranged in advance.
- Passengers should not engage in any activity that will distract the driver’s attention.
- Passengers will be provided with a VTN Van Rider badge. This badge must be worn while at the VA medical center and returned to the driver when leaving.
- Passengers need to check in with the transportation coordinator in Room 1C-119F when their appointment is complete so the Coordinator and the driver will know everyone is ready for the return trip.
- Thank the volunteers who generously give their time to provide transportation for our Veterans to and from the medical center for their scheduled medical appointments.
- We can always use qualified drivers. Would you like to become a member of the Martinsburg VA Medical Center “Heroes serving Heroes” team? Help to ensure Veterans are able to get to and from their medical appointments. Our men and women Veterans flew over Germany during WWII, patrolled the mountains in Korea, fought in the jungles of Vietnam, and are now serving in the desert of Iraq and mountains of Afghanistan and many other places worldwide in time of war and peace.
- By volunteering one day a week, one day every two weeks, or even one day a month driving a VTN Van in your local area, you would help us to ensure our Veterans have access to excellent medical care and services offered at the Martinsburg VA Medical Center.
- Become a member of the “Heroes Serving Heroes” team by contacting Terry Stotler at 304-263-0811 or 800-817-3807, ext. 3309.
- Vans operate various days of the week from; Frederick and Cumberland, Maryland; Elkton and Woodstock, Virginia; Franklin and Keyser, West Virginia and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
- Veterans must have a scheduled medical appointment between the hours of 9 a.m. (8:30 a.m. for the Frederick and Cumberland vans) and noon (or 1 p.m. for those clinics that only meet in the afternoon).
- Call the Veterans transportation coordinator to reserve a seat on the van at 304-263-0811 or 800-817-3807, ext. 3732. Call early as vans fill up quickly.
- Patients must be able to board and exit the van unassisted.
- Patients being discharged may ride the van only if space is available. The patient must be ready when the van is ready to depart. A patient with an Against Medical Advice (AMA) or irregular discharge will not be transported.
- Be at the pickup point 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- The van will not make a trip if road conditions do not allow for safe travel in the opinion of the driver or when the public schools are closed in the van’s service area.
- The van is not equipped nor are the drivers trained or qualified to handle medical emergencies.
- Passengers not adhering to the regulations will not be transported and may be asked to leave the van.
510 Butler Avenue
Martinsburg, WV 25405
- 304-263-0811 Ext. 3732
- 800-817-3807 Ext. 3732
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.